New 2014 HTML Gallery, a FREE gallery for Lightroom’s Web module
A holiday gift to the Lightroom community, the 2014 HTML Gallery is a reimagining and much needed modernization of the default Lightroom HTML Gallery, rebuilt from scratch. The gallery features a fluid, responsive design for tablets and mobile phones, support for Google Maps via the LR Map module, and other new features. Best of all, the gallery is completely FREE for all.
And though I've managed to get this release ready just under the wire for Christmas Eve, members of the Lightroom community have pulled together on short notice to provide localizations for non-English speakers. The plugin currently supports the following languages:
- Dutch translation by Piet Van den Eynde.
- French translation by Patrick Moll.
- German translation by Michael Hilgenstock.
- Italian translation by Paolo Avezzano.
- Chinese translations (Simplified and Traditional) by Belinda Shi.
Many thanks to these guys for their contributions!
For those of you not covered by these localizations, you can create your own translation by opening the plugin's .lrwebengine package, and editing the applicable TranslatedStrings.txt file located in the /strings/ folder. This can be done for any language supported by Lightroom.
Now, let's talk features and options.
Fluid, responsive design allows the gallery to reshape itself to fit any device. Make your grid as wide as you like; when it's too wide, it will reflow and recenter itself. On mobile devices, it compacts into an easy-to-use mobile layout automatically.
Likewise, large images will scale to fit the display.
Google Maps Support
Lightroom 5 introduced the Map module, but offered no follow-through to the Web module. The 2014 HTML Gallery allows you to link geo-tagged images to Google Maps. Just drop your images into place in the Map module, then enable the feature in your Web gallery. Easy, peasy.
The download includes eight starter templates, allowing you to quickly get started with a different look.
Online or Offline
The 2014 HTML Gallery includes some fantastic options, some of them old favorites and others welcome new additions. Returning features include drop-shadows, cell numbers and photo borders.
New options you're sure to love include:
- In the large image view, clicking the large image can either advance to the next image, or return to the index. It's your choice!
- The gallery description can be displayed on every index page, or only on the first page.
- We added an extra web link for navigation. So now you can link to your email address and your home page.
- Neat pagination and grid rendering features that work behind the scenes to make your layouts more awesome, while allowing you to get the job done without having to think too much about grid layout, the number of images on each page, etc. Automatic awesomeness!
- Support for CE3 Auto Index and the CE3 Pages "Galleries" page (galleries will show up in the CE3 gallery index pages).
Given more time, there's a bit more I'd like to do with this gallery, but I really wanted to get this out by Christmas. It's in very good shape as it is, but I'm open to growing it out a bit more as well. If you've got requests for future updates, let me know. I will not build in every feature; keep in mind that this is a free gallery and I will not allow it to step too much on the toes of our premium CE3 offerings. But that said, there's more we can do here and I'd love to hear your thoughts.
In closing ...
There's just one catch. By downloading 2014 HTML Gallery, you will be added to our mailing list. We send newsletters infrequently -- usually just once a month -- we never share your email address, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Twenty-thirteen has been a very good year for The Turning Gate, and we owe that to our wonderful community of users, who have embraced our plugins. We thank each and every one of you from the bottom of our hearts, and we promise more good things to come in 2014. Happy holidays and a merry Christmas to all. And however you choose to celebrate this time of year, we hope it finds you happy, healthy and surrounded by loved ones.